Wednesday, July 25, 2007

07/25/07: Back-up your critical files NIGHTLY!!

Today I'm sad to report that I had a 160 GB hard drive crash. 99% of the files were backed up...the 1% that was were PSD files from a project I just completed. Shame on me for not immediately backing them up. Just because the drive was less than 3 months old doesn't mean it wasn't safe (fortunately it's under warranty). It's just a bummer that I have to re-do about 4 hours worth of work to recreate the PSD files I lost. I'm going to attempt some file recovery software...he-he-he..."when I have time"...so I'll keep you posted.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What would you recommend for backing up files? I bought an external hard drive for my pictures, but should I be backing them up somewhere else, and where is that somewhere else?

10:01 PM, July 25, 2007  
Blogger Gordon McKinney said...

I have an external RAID 1 drive for my client files.

I will change my internal disks to RAID 1 on my next upgrade cycle.

I use SyncBackSE (free) to spit all my files onto an external disk. I enable the 'verify' option to guarantee a successful backup. The neat thing is the backup is readable on any PC without special software.

http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/syncback-hub.html

8:14 AM, July 26, 2007  
Blogger Daniel J. Watkins said...

Great tip Gordon!

Backing up files can be done from the very basic to the very sophisticated; from the very inexpensive (DVDs, flash drives, etc.) to the very expensive (dedicated file servers with multiple redundant drive arrays).

I've found that most of the pain associated with losing files can be attributed to the lack of preventative measures...it's kinda like flossing...don't do it just because you've got a dental appointment in the morning!

10:06 PM, July 26, 2007  
Blogger Michael said...

Wow, sounds like my weekend. Not sure what happened on my end, but the kernal file (the heart of the OS) somehow got corrupt and crashed hard. Really hard!

Fortunately I was able to set up both of my internal drives as slaves and back up all the data on an external drive.

But yes.... BACK UP DAILY. It should be a habit that we all make a part of our work flow.

10:35 AM, July 30, 2007  

Post a Comment

<< Home