Monday, January 08, 2007

01/08/07: Camera History


Today's post isn't really a tip as much as it is a reflection -- a personal one for me. The first SLR camera I ever owned was a Canon AE-1 Program that cost me $227 at the local Dolgin's department store in the fall of 1983. I was 17 years old and it took me about a month and a half to save up enough money to buy that camera (now, I drop $200+ on prints and think nothing of it!).

Initially I had just one lens -- a 50mm f1.8 -- and I remember how much fun it was to shoot shallow depth of field shots with my new toy. That camera lasted (digital camera users are going to laugh at this) until Feb. 27th, 1999 when it jammed on me as I was shooting a building implosion. Hard to believe in today's rapidly changing world of digital imaging that a camera lasted 16 years (12 years shooting as a part-time pro)...these days it's amazing if we don't replace a dSLR in 16 months! Would it be that they were $227 again!!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home