Saturday, July 29, 2006

07/29/06: Photo Mentors



Photography Mentors - Find One or Be One!

Twenty-three years ago, when I was a senior in high-school, I had the pleasure of meeting Jack Jennings -- the master photographer for the Missouri Botanical Garden. Jack is a phenomenal nature photographer and has been publishing a Missouri Botanical Garden calendar since the late 1970s. Back when I was just an impressionist teenager, I found Jack to be very inspirational and likeable -- he was part of the reason I became a photographer. I still see Jack several times a year -- each time down at the Missouri Botanical Garden doing what he does best...creating beautiful nature images. He is in his mid-70s now but remains very corteous and helpful to photographers at all skill levels.

Today's tip -- find a mentor to help you with your photographic pursuits, or become a mentor to aspiring young (or young at heart) photographers. You'll be amazed at what you can learn from other photographers -- even if you are a seasoned pro yourself. And if you are a seasoned pro, be sure to "pay it forward!" :)

Keep shooting!
~DJW

1 Comments:

Blogger tj cameron said...

i'm thinking i'll go back to school just so i can qualify for an Art Wolfe internship. Art, if you're reading this... will you be my mentor? just for a day or two :)

1:35 AM, August 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home