Friday, July 28, 2006

07/28/06: Quote of the day...

Quote of the day...

I get lazy on Fridays since it's the end of the work-week and the beginning of the work-weekend for me! So, quite often the daily photo tip for Fridays is a quote that I like or recently came across -- most often they are photo related, but sometimes the quotes are more general and can be applied to a photography context.

Today's quote is directly related to photography. On many of the photo forums I've read about aspiring photographers who are worried about business plans. While business plans are paramount to obtaining financing for a start-up enterprise seeking capital, today's quote about business plans gave me a chuckle. It comes from sports photographer David Sherman.

"You'll be told that you must have a business plan, but that's bull. At the end of the day, I'm still a photographer. I get paid when I work, and I don't when I don't. You can't really make a business plan for that."

-- David Sherman

2 Comments:

Blogger OpenSourcePhoto said...

:) Great blog big D! I had to comment because although I agree that business plans aren't vitally important for us I think setting up a business where the owner has to work in order to get paid is a big mistake. I'm sure you'll agree that it's better to setup a business where the owner gets paid long after he's directly involved in the operations.

4:05 PM, July 31, 2006  
Blogger Daniel J. Watkins Photography said...

Well DJ, you know I'm a big fan of business plans...but I think photographers frequently misunderstand their purpose. That's why this particular quote caught my attention. (BTW...later in the book, Vik Orenstein devotes a whole chapter to business plans!) The quote reminds me of Blazing Saddles..."Badges! We don't need no stinkin' badges!"

12:18 PM, August 01, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home